How to Fix Avast Won’t Open?
How to Fix Avast Won’t Open?
Causes of Avast Won’t Open Problem on Windows
Avast Won’t Open Error due to many different problems. However, it’s possible to come up with a shortlist which can provide the most common ones which affect the majority of users. Determining the correct cause is great for finding the best solutions and resolving the problem of avast won’t open.
- Broken Avast installation – Avast installation may have gone corrupt due to many different things but, luckily, Avast has provided several things you can do to resolve the problem such as repairing it or performing a clean install.
- Avast Antivirus service not running properly – If there are problems with its main service, you can simply restart it and check to see if the problem is resolved.
- First of all, make sure you are logged in with an administrator account as you won’t be able to delete programs using any other account.
- Click on the Start menu and open Control Panel by searching for it. Alternatively, you can click on the gear icon in order to open Settings if you are using Windows 10.
- In Control Panel, select to View as Category at the top right corner and click on Uninstall a Program under the Programs section.
- If you are using the Settings app, clicking on Apps should immediately open a list of all installed programs on your PC.
- Locate Avast in Control Panel or Settings and click on Uninstall/Repair.
- Its uninstall wizard should open with several options such as Update, Repair, Modify, and Uninstall. Select Repair and click Next in order to fix the installation of the program.
- A message will pop up asking you to confirm the process. Avast will most likely be restarted with the default settings which worked before the error started to occur.
- Click Finish when the uninstalled completes the process and restart your computer to see whether Avast now opens properly.
Perform a Clean Install
- Download the latest version of the Avast installation by navigating to this link and clicking the Download Free Antivirus button in the middle of the website.
- Also, you will need to download the Avast Uninstall Utility from this link so save it to your computer as well.
- Disconnect from the Internet after you have downloaded these files and boot into Safe Mode. Use the Windows + R key combination on your keyboard in order to start the Run dialog box and type in “msconfig” before clicking OK.
- In the System Configuration window, navigate to the Boot tab to the right and check the box next to the Safe Boot Click OK and restart your computer in order to boot into Safe Mode.
- Run the Avast Uninstall Utility and browse for the folder where you have installed Avast. If you installed it in the default folder (Program Files), you can leave it. Be careful to choose the correct folder since the contents of any folder you choose will be deleted or corrupted. Navigate through File Explorer until you find the right folder.
- Click the Remove option and restart your computer by booting into the normal startup. Check to see if Avast now opens normally.
Restart the Avast Antivirus Service
It’s quite possible that an error regarding the Avast Antivirus service is preventing Avast from opening properly. Services can be restarted rather easily and this method is definitely an easy one to perform by anyone! Make sure you follow the instructions below carefully in order to restart the Avast Antivirus service!
- Open the Run utility by using the Windows Key + R key combination on your keyboard (press these keys at the same time. Type “services.msc” in the newly opened box without the quotation marks and click OK in order to open the Services tool.
- The alternative way is to open the Control Panel by locating it in the Start menu. You can also search for it using the Start menu’s search button.
- After the Control Panel window opens, change the “View by” option at the top right part of the window to “Large Icons” and scroll down until you locate the Administrative Tools Click on it and locate the Services shortcut at the bottom. Click on it to open it as well.
- Locate the Avast Antivirus service on the list, right-click on it and select Properties from the context menu which appears.
- If the service is started (you can check that just next to the Service status message), you should stop it for now by clicking the Stop button in the middle of the window. If it is stopped, leave it stopped until we proceed.
- Make sure that the option under the Startup type menu in the service’s properties window is set to Automatic before you proceed with other steps. Confirm any dialogue boxes which may appear when changing the startup type. Click on the Start button in the middle of the window before exiting. You may receive the error message when you click on Start.
Avast Technical Support
Follow these steps given here to fix the avast won’t open or avast not working problem. You should contact the avast technical support team, which will fix your problems.