Fix Runtime Error 217
How to Fix Runtime Error 217
Runtime error 217 in windows 10, Runtime error 217 in windows 7
What is a Runtime Error?
There are many reasons for getting a Runtime error 217 or any runtime error Some of them are missing DLL file, registry errors, Infected PC and other problems like changes made to the important system files which can lead to windows corruption. Still, this error does not have any specific set of causes but you can still fix Fix Runtime Error 217 very easily by following the below-mentioned steps:-
What Causes Runtime Error 217
There are many causes of runtime error 217 and some of which will be displayed below:
- One of the causes that make the runtime error 217 appear is one or more DLL files fail to register when you install an application. Incorrect DLL’s after a program has been installed is one of the most common causes of runtime error 217.
- A file named Msvcrt.dll (a Microsoft Visual C++ file) outdated.
- Incorrect regional settings.
- An obsolete Stdole32.dll is one of the causes of runtime error 217.
- Infections caused by a virus/spyware.
- False registry entries and inconsistencies in the registry files.
To fix Runtime error, you basically need to repair the various elements of the problem. As seen above, there are a number of errors which often cause this problem – making it essential you’re able to fix them in the best way possible.
How To Fix Runtime Error 217
Step 1 – Update Windows To Fix Msvcrt.dll File
The msvcrt.dll file often gets damaged on Windows, due to which your PC fails to process the file it needs to run. The Msvcrt.dll file is a common file used by many programs. But outdated on older versions of Windows – leading to the Runtime 217 error to appear on the screen. To update this file, you need to run windows updates, which can be done by clicking Start > Control Panel > Windows Update.
Step 2 – Manual way to fix Runtime Error 217 from Windows 10/8.1/8/7
- Open the run window by pressing Windows + R both at the same time and type msconfig and press enter. This will open System Configuration utility on the screen.
- Go to the services Tab and check the box which says “Hide all Microsoft services” and then clicks disable all.
- Then select on Apply and then click on OK.
- Now open the Task Manager by pressing Windows + R and typing “taskmgr” in the dialogue box that appears.
- Navigate to the “startup” tab and one by one disable all the items available there.
- Restart the computer
Step 3 – Correct The Regional Settings For Your PC
As mentioned above, incorrect regional settings are also one of the reasons that can cause “Runtime error 217”. To do this follow these steps:
- Open Control Panel.
- Select Clock, Language, and Region.
- Then check the settings and do the needful if something needs to be corrected.
Step 4 – Download StDole32.TLB from the Internet
Sometimes Stdole32.tlb goes missing from the “System32” folder of your PC and this can cause the Runtime 217 error to appear. This file used by many programs on your system. You can simply download this file from the internet and place it to fix this issue. Following are the directions for the same:-
- Unzip the file using free tools like Winzip/Winrar.
- Copy and paste the file in C:\Windows\System32
- Restart the computer and check if this resolves the problem.
If not, please proceed to the step 4.
Step 5 – Clean Out The Registry
The registry is a main reason for the Runtime 217 error. Thanks to the way It used by your system. This is a big problem, as it means that Windows is constantly being unable to use the files it needs to run which in turn make your computer slow and cause errors such as the Runtime 217 error. This fixed by using any “Registry Cleaner” software to remove unwanted entries and inconsistencies from the registry.